Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:28:50 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposed new 'options' target

--T4Djgzn3z2HSNnx0

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 09:46:05AM +0200, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> # Variable|Default value|Short description
> #       Multi-line/long description (optional).
> #       Multi-line/long description lines must start with whitespace!
> #
> WITH_ASM68K|no|If set to 'yes', this will enable the speedier but buggy
>         assembler 68x00 CPU emulation cores. This will only work on x86.
>         Note that some games are known to break with this option, among
>         them pbobble2.

My main concern with something like this is that it's not easily=20
extendable.  If you want to add new fields in the middle (to specify
whether the option is exclusive, or can be mixed with others, or it's
GUI representation, or whatever) then there's going to be problems.

Give me an 'X'.  Give me an 'M'.  Give me an 'L'. . .  If phk has his
way we'll have an XML library in the base system soon enough.

Which is exactly the discussion I want to avoid right now, because it's
a huge rathole -- that's why my original suggestion was as simple as it
was.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \=
 ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/=
_)

--T4Djgzn3z2HSNnx0

--T4Djgzn3z2HSNnx0--