Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 03:12:17 -0700
From:      "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
To:        Jamie Rishaw <jamie@arpa.com>, Chriss <chriss@toto.oz-online.net>
Cc:        Nicholas Brawn <ncb@zip.com.au>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: legal notice for telnet/etc

On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 12:14:36AM -0500, Jamie Rishaw <jamie@arpa.com> wrote:
> Note, that doesnt work for ssh.
>
> I use /etc/COPYRIGHT for all my must-read's.
>
> The only problem is, that's post-login.
>
> You can define copyright file in /etc/login.conf ":copyright=" directive.
>
> -jamie

	Uhm... 'must-read'? ;) Heh. Guess what? If a user has .hushlogin in
his $HOME, he/she is not going to see your /etc/COPYRIGHT message at all:

% touch $HOME/.hushlogin
% cat /etc/COPYRIGHT
lkadjflkasjfasdl
% login
login: jkb
Password:
%

	See /usr/src/usr.bin/login/login.c around line 548

	The best way to make sure your users see a message is to place a
hack into login.c which just ignores the existence of .hushlogin file.

	BTW, since sshd does not use /usr/bin/login (unless you force it to
do so, and it then needs a patch to do it right and not to core on BSD). So
with sshd you just edit /etc/sshd_config (or /usr/local/etc) and set
"PrintMotd yes" in the sshd config file. Then of course you need to make
sshd ignores $HOME/.hushlogin also... ;-)

	Argh! Hell. There is not good way to get your message across. If
l^Huser choose not to read it, they will not read it no matter what. :(

-- Yan