Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 10:29:31 +0200 (EET DST)
From:      Joakim Henriksson <murduth@ludd.luth.se>
To:        af@biomath.jussieu.fr
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to send "start unit" to disk during boot?

> I have  been  given  a  DEC  RZ24  (200Mb)  SCSI  disk  which  I  have
> successfully connected to my PC (133Mhz Pentium, Intel Endeavour  m/b,
> AHA2940  controller,  IDE  boot  disk). This disk, like some other DEC
> disks,   does  *not*  spin  up   when powered up. Other DEC disks have
> jumpers to change this, the RZ24 doesn't seem to have them.

Some of the Digital (all?) rz disks have the spinup parameter in one of the
vendor specific mode pages of the scsi disk. Try something like
"scsi -f /dev/rsd?c -m 37 -e -P 3" and change the spinup value to 0 the page
referenced in the m parameter might be diferent. To find out which page it
is you should do "scsi -f /dev/rsd?c -m ??" where ?? is from 0x01 to 0x3f
but maybe in decimal, someone a bit more knowledgable about the scsi command
help me out! I have only done this on a VAX station using the rzdisk utility
which works just like scsi but on rz disks :)

regards/ Joakim