Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 1998 13:16:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason K. Fritcher" <jkf@calweb.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   pidentd problem

Hello. I have run into an interesting problem with the pidentd port. When it
runs from inetd in nowait mode, and someone connects to port 113, identd
starts, and then immediately dies and dumps core. When looking at a stack
trace on the core file, this is what I get.

Script started on Sat Dec 26 22:17:50 1998
[root@monitor:/]# gdb /usr/local/sbin/identd.so /identd.so.core
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.16 (i386-unknown-freebsd),
Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
Core was generated by `identd.so'.
#0  0x4000b5a5 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x4000b5a5 in ?? ()
#1  0x4000f938 in ?? ()
#2  0x40004534 in ?? ()
#3  0x40002160 in ?? ()
(gdb) quit
[root@monitor:/]# exit
Script done on Sat Dec 26 22:18:13 1998

Don't ask about the .so, I'll explain later.

I can not find a way to get gdb to show what functions those are. I have
compiled a debug copy of the libc shared library and had it load that upon
startup instead of the non-debug copy but it still will not show the
function names. Any pointers of how I can figure out what library and what
functions those are?

I also went so far as to compile a statically linked version of identd and
it works almost perfectly. By almost I mean I still can't run identd in wait
mode from inetd. This led me to play around with the dynamically linked
version. I can get it to work when run in daemon mode, and I can also get it
to work when I run it in debug mode. But it just will not work when run from
inetd.

My main concern here is figuring out how to determine what functions the
pointers in the core dump point to. Am I missing a command to read in the
symbols for the libraries, or is there something else? I included the part
about the static file just so everyone would know what I have done so far.

Any insight to this problem is much appriciated!