Date:      Thu, 24 Mar 2005 00:38:18 -0600
From:      Gary Smithe <gary.smithe@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing from CDROM - No Baton?

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:37:25 -0500, Josh Klein <lw_jklein@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello - I'm new to FreeBSD, but I'm following the installation instructions
> from The Complete FreeBSD. I checked the archives of this list, but can not
> find reference to this issue.
>
> I'm trying to install 5.3 - but when I boot from the CD-ROM, I do not get
> the expected swirling baton. Instead, I get a collection of symbols
> (including some common letters and numbers, some not) that "rotate" much in
> the way the swirling baton would, were it there. These characters appear 4-5
> lines above the blinking _ at the bottom of the screen, and several tabs in.
>
> This persists for 30+ minutes and does not show any signs of abating. I am
> installing it over an installation of WinXP (intending to completely wipe
> all my data).
>
> Is this normal? Any ideas?
>
> Thank You,
> LW

Sorry this isn't the answer you're looking for, but you need to post
this to freebsd-questions.  This list is for "advocacy and warm
fuzzies about just getting started with freebsd."

With that said.  Here's a FAQ that mentions CD-Rom booting problems:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/install.html#NO-INSTALL-CDROM

You may also want to try booting from the boot floppies, then select
the CD-ROM for your install set.

I have the Complete FreeBSD, and find it kind of lacking.  The
official handbook will probably answer things a bit more direct for
you.

Good Luck.
GS