Date:      14 Jul 2002 13:16:45 +0100
From:      Nick Hilliard <nick-lists@netability.ie>
To:        tomkersten98@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.5 + KDE 3's kdm....error....

Tom,

> www# kdm -nodaemon
> Jun 11 22:55:29 www kdm[5143]: Abnormal helper termination, code 0, signal 81
> Jun 11 22:55:31 www kdm[5146]: Greeter exited unexpectedly

I had this problem too.  While I don't know exactly what caused it (it
was due to an X authorisation problem of some form), I fixed it by
simply re-installing X from the packages system.  Previously, I had just
used the binaries from the XFree86 ftp site.  Apparently, there seems to
be some minor differences between the two.

Anyway, kdm now works a treat on my laptop.

Nick