Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 19:15:55 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com (Darryl Okahata)
Subject:   Re: Thanks for the CDROM writer tools!

As Darryl Okahata wrote:

>      I just want to thank Joerg (for his CDROM burner drivers) and
> Jordan (for his scripts).

To be fair, what is mostly forgotten these days is that the initial
work on the driver was done by Peter Dufault.  He did it _blindly_,
without ever having seen a CD-R device.  I've then picked up his
driver skeleton, and made it work once my boss decided to drop me the
Plasmon writer next to my machine...  (This wasn't particularly
chosen, i have to say here: he simply ``went shopping'', and came back
with a Plasmon, since ``it were just there, and it wasn't too
expensive''. :-)

>      What makes things even more impressive is that I'm using a recycled
> boatanchor to burn CDROMs: a 25MHz 386 w/16MB RAM, an el-cheapo NE2000
> clone card, and an old 1542B SCSI controller.  The iso9660 image was
> also accessed via NFS.

:-)

The trick is that you don't need a fast CPU (hey, we are not
Microsloth!), as long as you've got solid hardware (like the AHA 1542)
and enough of RAM so team(1) will do its job of a userland cache.  Of
course, if you're also going to run X11, and ghostscript (for lpd),
and this, and that -- i needed 32 MB then.  But i'm still impressed
that it runs like a charm, without even noticing that there's a
constant (and urgent) data flow in the background of the machine.

--
cheers, J"org