Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 12:07:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Eli <Eli@Tellan.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel questions

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Eli wrote:

> I am new to the unix world and I decided to give FreeBSD a try. Well, I
> downloaded the boot image, and successfully booted from a floppy. I then
> went through the installation menu, and I thought I installed correctly
> from CD-ROM. (NOTE: The FreeBSD CD I have is not from Walnut Creek CD, but
> from another distributer: Trans-Ameritech.) Now, when I boot without the
> floppy, the boot manager kicks in and lets me select my Win95 or BSD. I
> select BSD. Then the boot screen comes up (the one where it waits 5 seconds
> and has the Boot prompt) and I let it wait 5 seconds. Then it comes back
> saying "Cannot find /kernel". I know that BSD can't find the kernel in the
> /kernel directory, but I don't know why? Did I do something wrong? Please
> get back to me soon, as I am eager to get started. Thanks.

Either something went wrong with your installation, or you have a unusual
disk setup.  You'll need to give the disk explicitly.

Try doing something like

wd(0,a)/kernel

where 0 is the disk number (0 & 1 on the first controller, 2 & 3 on the
second controller).  If this is a scsi device then write 'sd' instead of
'wd'.

You didn't tell me your disk setup so this is all I can do for now.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo