Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 22:59:53 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: OS/2 users going to FreeBSD? :-)

>  I think that this is only part of the story.  The first few times I
>  set up a ppp connect (including to blazenet), it went like a dream.
>  Then I tried to connect to Telstra, and discovered that they were
>  expecting me to throw the first stone.

Yes, this is (user) ppp's default. Or was. I think Brian intended
to change that. When I ran into the same problem while setting up
auto-ppp/pap login on our server I was initially using ppp for
testing, and it taok me a while to figure out why it wasn't working
as well. I mentioned it to Brian who told me how to fix it, and he
also mentioned he was going to change the default setting. I'm not
sure whether that's been done yet or not.

>  > Sure, FreeBSD is more complex to set up for the simple client
>  > environment, but the emphasis on its development and use is not
>  > really as a client system; ie. the "desktop". It can certainly
>  > make a fine desktop system, but unlike the OS/2 system, it can
>  > make an even better server. IBM's focus has obviously been more
>  > specific, and therefore they can afford to cater for the desktop
>  > user.
>
>  There's nothing that would preclude FreeBSD catering *also* for the
>  "desktop" user, unless it's time and inclination.

Of course. Ultimately it comes down to someone spending the effort, and
in a volunteer organisation, that's going to come from where individual
developer's interests lie.

>  To be fair, the handbook is pretty superficial.  I'm not trying to
>  knock it--it's better than nothing--but we need something in much more
>  depth.  I'm not just bitching about it: I've got a document half
>  ready, but I'm too busy at the moment to put on the final polish.  If
>  somebody starts bugging me, that may change.

:-)  Now you're asking for it.

Cheers,
David