Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 00:55:50 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BootFORTH - demo floppy

> Now, adding nulls to the end of the string is very easy with count based
> strings (as long as you are not working with a substring), and I have nothing
> against doing it. But having "evaluate" operate on null-terminated strings is
> the same as having strncmp operate on null-terminated strings: it's against
> standard and intent.

I'm all in favor of pushing FICL more in the direction of standards
conformance, to be sure.  The I/O model in particular is rather
primitive since FICL was designed specifically to chew on strings
rather than be a more traditional console-based forth and I'd love to
see some of that brought back.

My own forth skills have seriously atrophied, unfortunately, and I'm
generally not up on the newer ANS standards or even the older stuff
which wasn't explicitly covered in the Brodie book. :-)

If you see such conformance violations, a precise description of what
the primitive should be returning or taking instead would be
appreciated.  Diffs to the code are, of course, appreciated even more! :)

- Jordan