Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 09:01:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: on the subject of changes to -RELEASEs...

Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <1652.860709359@time.cdrom.com> "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
> : > how about making these "well known" files such as /etc/resolv.conf,
> : > /etc/host.conf and other stuff symlinks into /var/etc ? This is
> :
> : I'm starting to get a headache. :-)
>
> I hate to say this, but I kinda like this idea.
>
> Does somebody have a cononical list of these files so that some brave
> soles can begin to experiment?

	in the spirit of the discussion

	how about creating HERE documents *inside* sysconfig which create
	/etc/resolv.conf, /etc/hosts, /etc/namedb.boot, ......

	the machine configuration can be duplicated (software side at
	least) by xferring that file to another machine.

	the goal is to get everythin that the sysadmin modifies into
	one place.....default configuration would DISABLE this
	creature feature.  lest people hurt themselves each time they boot.
jmb

partial list:   *passwd*, *db, sendamil*, host*,
		named.boot namedb*, aliases, XF86Config,
		adduser.conf, make.conf, fstab, dm.conf, daily,
		weekly, monthly, rc.local, group,......<ack!>