Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:39:45 -0700
From:      richard childers / kg6hac <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        mh@nerim.net
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: auto config NICs in rc.conf

I've been chewing on this problem for a while.

So have a lot of folks.

There's a guy who wrote a script and shared it with his computer club
that did something like what you describe, except that he used the
curses library to make it user-fiendly.

I'm not saying that he was the first to do it or the first to use the
name, but gradually this has come to be known as the 'rc.mobile' script.

It hasn't made it into the release yet, more's the pity. I suppose this
is to keep script kiddies from having too much power; the same script
that could empower you to be mobile could empower someone less gifted to
engage in a form of identity theft. Even mentioning the possibility is
enough to get me keelhauled.  /-:

Here's a URL or two to get you started; note that the seed of what you
are looking for may well exist in the Linux community, rather than the
BSD community, and under another name, too.

Regards,

-- richard