Date:      Thu, 29 Feb 1996 08:21:27 PST
From:      "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jerry@border.com (Jerry Kendall), msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, adamm@visual.is.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: booting kernel from dos

Is there good detailed information on how netboot works?

What I basically saw was a UTSL strategy.

I'm kinda unhappy with the different combinations which I had
to use to boot freebsd on different machines...

1) one machine won't boot from fbsdboot -- it wouldn't boot from
booteasy -- but it booted if I changed the boot partition in fdisk...
(I reinstalled booteasy (bt17?) and then it worked...

2) another machine had freebsd on a ontracked hard disk...
It:
	1) wouldn't boot from bteasy
	2) wouldn't boot from the boot disk
	3) booted from fbsdboot <compiled in rootdev> <dos kernel>
when I build a kernel for that device
I see there are now translating ide controllers for about $40.  Would
this solve the ontrack difficulties?

--
marty
leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com