Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:38:27 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: isofs/cd9660 -> relocate to fs/isofs/cd9660?

Quoting Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org> (from Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:51:25 -0600=
):

> Moves in CVS are relatively easy too, it's just that they can only
> be performed by a special group of people, and that special group
> rarely responds to requests.  So, it's a policy problem, not a
> technology problem.  I would imagine than any new VCS that the project
> adopts would have similar policies in place, and moves will still be
> impossible.

ATM we get the repo copy when we request one. There's no approval =20
process I'm aware of. So I expect a lot of bikeshed discussions about =20
the right layout if someone moves parts of the tree. But the problem =20
you mentioned above is not a policy problem, it's a technical problem: =20
CVS has no official way to move while keeping the history. Because of =20
this we have to cheat. Cheating can harm the repo, so we only allow a =20
subset of the people to cheat. The policy we have ATM is the result of =20
a technical limitation, not a political decission in the first place.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Don't expect people to keep in step--