Date:      Thu, 7 Nov 1996 09:34:32 -0600
From:      dnelson@emsphone.com (Dan Nelson)
To:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu (John-Mark Gurney)
Cc:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au (Daniel O'Callaghan), hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: changing default sysctl values in kernel...

In the last eposode (Nov 7), John-Mark Gurney said:
> On Thu, 7 Nov 1996, Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> > > well...  the subject says it all... I have a server that is
> > > designed to be a terminal server...  and I would like a way to
> > > compile a kernel with the default of net.inet.ip.forwarding: 1...
> > > instead of 0...  will allow me to not have sysctl on the
> > > machine... thanks for your help... ttyl..
> >
> > Just put
> > options GATEWAY
> > in your kernel config file.
>
> I just did a search through the kernel source (960801-SNAP) and the
> only place I found anything referencing GATEWAY was in some files in
> i386/boot/...  other than that nothing...  ttyl..

You don't want to search for GATEWAY; search for where the sysctl
"forwarding" is linked to a kernel variable.  From /sys/netinet/ip_input.c:

static int	ipforwarding = 0;
SYSCTL_INT(_net_inet_ip, IPCTL_FORWARDING, forwarding, CTLFLAG_RW,
	&ipforwarding, 0, "");

Just set ipforwarding to 1 there, and you should be set.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com