Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2023 10:10:27 +0200
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Poor performance with Alder Lake graphics (ThinkPad T16)

Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> writes:

>> VA-API is separate from OpenGL. VA-API on Alder Lake needs
>> libva-intel-media-driver
>> but the actual support depends on PCI ID e.g., may require newer version
>> than then one packaged.
>>

> OK. I am now running libva-intel-media-driver. Still not seeing the video
> acceleration that I would expect. 12 threads running and hte total CPU
> usage is 9& to play a 1392x1072 video.

Try running vainfo from libva-utils directly on KMS console like /dev/ttyv0.
If it prints a list of supported formats you can proceed with mpv e.g.,

  $ mpv --no-config --hwdec=vaapi --gpu-context=drm /path/to/foo.mp4
or
  $ mpv --no-config --hwdec=vaapi --gpu-context=displayvk --vulkan-display-plane=2 /path/to/foo.mp4
  (if --vulkan-display-plane=2 doesn't work check --vulkan-display-plane=help output)

then toggle stats via keybinding

  $ man mpv
  [...]
       i and I
              Show/toggle an overlay displaying statistics about the currently
              playing file such as codec, framerate, number of dropped frames
              and so on. See STATS for more information.

and look for "(hwdec: vaapi)" substring one "Video:" line.