Date:      20 Dec 2000 05:28:58 -0500
From:      Arcady Genkin <antipode@thpoon.com>
To:        dan@langille.org
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No cable modems??

"Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org> writes:

> I hope this doesn't spread.  I have an ADSL connection and I send mail
> directly from my mailserver.  I don't want to send my mailing list server
> output through my ISP.  Nor should I.  Part of the idea of handling my
> own mail was both the independence and the learning experience.

Yes, I would second that.  My ISP's (Rogers) mail servers are down
quite often, and there have been incidents with mail lost at all.  I'm
using my FreeBSD box on a cable modem as my own incoming and outgoing
mail gateway, and have no intention of changing this.

I think that the human tendency to over-generalize dangerously spreads
into computer networks' configuration.  Only because some admins _can_
play gods doesn't mean that it's a right (or even fair) thing to do.
This might be a sentiment, but I don't want to be called a spammer
with no grounds to it.

p.s.  I understand that a person is free to do whatever the heck he
wants to his own incoming mail server's configuration.  But I'm
concerned with a tendency.  I like having my own mail gateway (and I
make sure it does not allow relaying).
--
Arcady Genkin
Don't read everything you believe.