Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 22:28:38 -1000
From:      John Jennings <jljennin@hawaii.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PPP and NAT, this time.

To whom it may concern:

Thanks to all responses regarding my previous problem.  The issue was
resolved and our box is connected to our DSL line completely and correctly.

We completely remade our ppp.config, and it looks as follows:

default:
 ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)
 set log Phase Chat IPCP CCP tun command

adsl:
 set authname our_username
 set authkey our_password
 add default HISADDR
 set device !"pppoa2 -vpi 8 -vci 35 -v 1"
 accept pap
 set speed sync
 set timeout 0
 enable lqr
 set lqrperiod 5
 set redial 15 10000
 set dial ""
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
 enable dns

This works beautifully.  Now, another problem we believed would be simple to
solve, but it isn't quite so.  We have a network card in the FreeBSD machine
with IP address 192.168.1.3.  It is connected to a Windows 98 machine with
IP address 192.168.1.1.    The Windows 98 machine's TCP stack is completely
configured and operational (it can ping the FreeBSD machine and vice versa;
we are using a crossover cable to connect the two).   We want to enable NAT
on the FreeBSD machine to allow the Windows 98 machine access to the
Internet via the FreeBSD box.

We have done the following to accomplish this:

1)  Built a custom kernel with options IPDIVERT and IPFIREWALL

2)  Enabled the machine to act as a gateway in rc.conf
(gateway_enable="YES")

3)  Enabled natd in rc.conf (nat_enable="YES")

4)  Changed natd interface to "tun0" (our interface for ppp)
(natd_interface="tun0")

5)  Enabled named, so Win98 can resolve names using the FreeBSD box
(named_enable="YES")

6)  Created rc.firewall with the following lines:

/sbin/ipfw -f flush
/sbin/ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via tun0
/sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any

7)  Enabled the firewall in rc.conf (We compiled kernel with DEFAULT_ACCEPT
option)

8)  Created rc.local to initialise the USB Alcatel Hometouch on startup:

modem_run -f /usr/local/libdata/mgmt.o -m

9)  We manually connect doing the following:

ppp -ddial -nat adsl

It connects succesfully and the FreeBSD box is on the net.

10)  The Win98 machine can ping IP addresses outside the LAN and our ISP
(i.e. it can ping the IP of www.google.com), but it cannot resolve domain
names, nor access IP addresses of web sites (i.e. we used www.hawaii.edu 's
IP address, and the web server could not be found, yet it is accessible by
IP address from elsewhere)

11)  We attempt to manually start natd on the FreeBSD box:

natd -interface tun0

12)  Same problem as # 10, no change.

Going with info given in reply to my previous problem, does a default route
for the 192.168.1.0 network need to be configured?

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.