Date:      Thu, 4 Jul 2002 22:50:09 +1000
From:      Tim Robbins <tjr@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc:        Akinori MUSHA <knu@iDaemons.org>, audit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: suidperl

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 03:14:13PM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:

> Are you sure that you do not have suidperl still hardlinked to 'perl',
> exactly the hardlink that the first part of knu's patch removes? :)

I just turned on the suid bit on /usr/bin/perl to test. The code in
src/usr.bin/perl/perl.c isn't safe to run suid (or any time the effective user
does not trust whoever set the PATH variable) because it runs arbitrary
programs from directories in PATH.

In any case, the way /usr/bin/perl relies on PATH to find the interpreter
is unsafe to a lesser degree even with the suid bit turned off.

Tim