Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2012 10:55:46 +0300
From:      Nikolay Denev <ndenev@gmail.com>
To:        Tristan Verniquet <tris_vern@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: syncing large mmaped files

On Oct 18, 2012, at 3:08 AM, Tristan Verniquet <tris_vern@hotmail.com> =
wrote:

>=20
> I want to work with large (1-10G) files in memory but eventually sync =
them back out to disk. The problem is that the sync process appears to =
lock the file in kernel for the duration of the sync, which can run into =
minutes. This prevents other processes from reading from the file =
(unless they already have it mapped) for this whole time. Is there any =
way to prevent this? I think I read in a post somewhere about openbsd =
implementing partial-writes when it hits a file with lots of dirty pages =
in order to prevent this. Is there anything available for FreeBSD or is =
there another way around it?