Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:49:59 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Lars Fredriksen <fredriks@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting SMP on SuperMicro P6DNE fails

Hi,

> 	Building a current kernel (as of last night) with  the following
> 	SMP
> 	APIC_IO
> 	SMP_AUTOSTART
> 	SMP_TIMER_NC
>
> and without I386_CPU and I486_CPU failed to boot. I booted to the point
> where you get the TADA message saying that the second processor was
> enabled and added to the scheduling queue and the issued a message about
> it having found all the cpus. Then it just sat there. I will get a break
> into the debugger tomorrow at that point to get a stack backtrace.

really need to see the complete printout of the boot.  best way to get this
is to setup the machine to boot via a serial port, then direct that
port thru another machine inside of a tip session under X.  you can then
cutNpaste the output into a file for examination.  having said that this sounds
like a missing INTerrupt problem.  If I had to guess I would say the disk
controller.  is it SCSI or IDE?

---
> Are there drivers in the 3.0 tree that are not SMP safe? Like the sound
> drivers etc??

theoretically they should all be SMP safe, since we use a global "giant lock".
but there undoubtedly are a few that do something 'unusual' that could get
them in trouble...  The general rule in your type problem is to first get
a minimal kernel working that has ONLY the drivers you need for booting.
then add the others (such as sound, etc.)

--
Steve Passe	| powered by