Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:38:36 +0200
From:      Clemens Fischer <ino-qc@spotteswoode.de.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SOLVED kernel: locore.s doesn't assemble (fillkpt, $PAGE_SHIFT, $PTESHIFT)

* Bosko Milekic:

> Please show us exactly what you're doing to build the kernel.

nothing other than outlined in usr/src/Makefile or the handbook
article on making custom kernels.

> Try whiping the old kernel build directory and make sure that after
> you config you make depend before you make.

i had tried this several times without success.  now hold on to your
seats:  sys/kern/genassym.sh looked fishy to me due to its "funny"
redirection.  it basically does "nm genassym.o | awk '...' >
/dev/stdout" to make "#define <constant> <value>" pairs in assym.s.
redirecting to /dev/stdout showed nothing on the tube.  i checked
that, and /dev/stdout turned out to be a regular file instead of a
character special device!

i think i broke this when playing with rsync i did "rsync
localhost::rsync/readme /dev/stdout".  i'll verify this and do a PR to
the rsync team when i have the time.  the line "sh
../../kern/genassym.sh genassym.o > assym.s" is ok, but only after "cd
/dev; ./MAKEDEV std".

thanks for all your help,

  clemens