Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 1996 21:10:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Adam.Strohl." <thomas.strohl@valley.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Internet Setup

On Thu, 1 Feb 1996, Adam.Strohl. wrote:

> Hey! So far you guys have been great, and I want to thank you for helping me
> get up
> and running with FreeBSD.  Its REALLY Cool.   Anyway, I do have a question ....

:)

> How do I set up my machine to use a dialup ISP.  I am not using a gateway, this
> is
> just my home machine.  I can use the ppp program to dialup, but when I go to a
> program like FTP, etc, it doesn't recognize that it has to rout all request
> throigh
> the ppp.  I have experiece on how to set this up on windoze machines, and have
> all
> my ISP network info (DNS, IP, etc) I just dont know how to set these.  Thanx in
> advance, and keep up the good work !!!

You need to manipulate your routing tables so that your computer knows to
send the packets through the ppp line (tun0 interface).

1.  su to root
2.  netstat -rn to list current routes
3.  delete any routes with destination "default" (iijppp shoud do this
    for you)
4.  "route add default <otherend>" where <otherend> is the remote
machine.

Set your ISP's DNS in /etc/resolv.conf as "nameserver 123.123.123.123".

Other than that, iijppp is pretty automatic.

If this doesn't help let me know and I'll try to illustrate.

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant