Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:10:46 +0100 (CET)
From:      Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
To:        Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPv6 FTP mirror

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Will Andrews wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 November 2002 07:43, Lukas Ertl wrote:
> > is there a need for an IPv6 FTP mirror? The server would be
> > located in Vienna, Austria. Due to some space restrictions I
> > probably won't be able to carry the whole fileset, and the
> > IPv6 connection is still a little experimental, but I'd like
> > to give it a try.
>
> Well now, that depends on how you define "need".  The more
> FreeBSD services are available on IPv6, the more users might use
> it to access them.  It could only be a good thing.

The host would be also accessible via IPv4 of course.

> You may not see much traffic, however.

I know, this whole IPv6-stuff is still experimental, but if the services
are there people might consider using it.

> 6Bone transit is typically quite poor.

This host is in 6net, not in 6bone, if I got that right from our
networkers. It is connected with an 100Mbit interface, but I don't know if
I can get that performance over IPv6 over long distances.

> The IPv6 Internet, as I understand it, is well under way in Europe and
> Asia, however.

This surely has something to do with the fact that IPv4 addresses are
running out here and in Asia more quickly than in the US.

Ok, so I try to setup that mirror.

regards,
le

--=20
Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
UNIX-Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)       Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universit=E4t Wien                   http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/