Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 16:15:10 -0700
From:      notme <notme@lvdi.net>
To:        Anthony Hoelzle <pentium@cio.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Samba

Hi,
    Well, I am not too sure what exactly do you mean by Samba is not
running,
but here's a couple of things that hopefully could help you...

-Are you able to use nmblookup <name of client>
i.e:
nmblookup myName
it should return an ip address of your machine with myName as following:
www.xxx.yyy.zzz. myName<00>

-Did you set the "hosts allow" correctly? Else it will deny basically all
connections.
-Did you read the documentation for encryption?  There is some problem
with
the encrypted password and MS machines.
-Check the samba page, at www.samba.org, and under their documentation
section, there is this thing call "diagnostic."
-did you start smbd and nmbd correctly?
-is the client set correctly?  (for MS machines, you need Client for MS
network)

well, I hope this helps...

Frankie