Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:21:52 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Large-scale 1-1 NAT

Christopher Cowart wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're working on expanding our wireless network. Unfortunately, we're
> running out of IP addresses (aren't we all). As much as I'd love to just
> tell everyone to use IPv6, that isn't gonna fly. The next plan to
> consider is using an RFC1918 pool and NATing the traffic.
>
> If only it were that simple. The security folks have mandated that
> anyone who can talk to the internet at large must be individually
> indentifiable. This means having hundreds of users NATing to a single
> internet-routable IP isn't happening.

Are you sure it doesn't just mean you need to keep logs of who was
NAT'd to what at any time?

> I want to try a setup in which we have a big RFC1918 pool of addresses,
> say 10.8/16. In their initial state, these hosts might NAT to a single
> public IP and perform some transparent proxying to get them to an
> authentication page. The firewall on our NAT box would be extremely
> restrictive for these clients.
>
> When a user authenticates, we will allocate a single public IP for the
> session. At this time, our code would use ipfw to move the user into a
> different lookup table and also update the NAT table.
>
> The real question is: what's the best way to dynamically update the NAT
> table?

I don't think we have the ability to do that.
it may take some coding on your part.

> It doesn't look like there's any way to have a running natd update its
> configuration without restarting. That's obviously disruptive.
>
> I also doubt it's a good idea to try to launch a single natd process per
> authenticated client. We have a /22 and a /23 in our public pools, and
> we expect to max that out (1500+ clients).
>
> Has anyone attempted a setup like this? Do you have any pointers for
> designing this to scale well? We are planning on throwing hardware at
> it, but that only gets us so far.

never heard of such a setup.
I suggest you find out if that is the only solution your security people
would accept. (As someone doing security stuff for a few years I think
that someone is confused somewhere).