Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 02:07:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        Tyler Schutjer <tschutj@xmission.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please help...

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Tyler Schutjer wrote:

> I'm an average DOS/Windows user in the process of trying to pick up
> UNIX, and I'm DYING to put FreeBSD on my machine. I spent long hours
> trying to install from the boot floppy, but couldn't get it to work (I
> can't get past the dialing out to my ISP part), so I am thinking about
> purchasing the CD. I want to be able to select a partition from which to
> boot when I turn on my PC, and I'm thoroughly confused as to whether
> installing from a CD will achieve the same kind of configured disk as
> will the downloading methods. Basically, I want UNIX to EXIST ON MY HARD
> DRIVE, as though my PC were a workstation - I don't want to have to
> stick a CD in my machine every time I want to run FreeBSD. Now I have to
> confess a whole lot of ignorance with regards to UNIX and hardware
> stuff, but it seems to me from reading the documentation that this is
> what I would be doing - "mounting" the CD every UNIX session. Is that
> right? Or am I misunderstanding totally?

The latter.  :) An install from CD is a complete installation to your hard
drive, and you thereafter do not need a CD in your drive to run Unix.
There are options during the installation to allow you to choose an OS at
boot time.

See http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html.

> Any info relevant to any of these questions that you folks could give me
> would be most appreciated. I would offer cash, but alas - I'm a grad
> student...

That's ok, we're volunteers.  I speak only for myself, but if you want to
give back to FreeBSD, there is a simple way for newbies such as you and
me.  Lurk on this list and use FreeBSD until you know the answers to some
of the questions that show up; then answer those so that more experienced
folks can spend their time answering more difficult questions.

> Thanks
> tschutj@xmission.com
> or tds0050@wcslc.edu

 Ben

The views expressed above are not those of the Worker's Compensation
Board of Queensland, Australia.