Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2012 06:44:53 +0700
From:      Erich <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
To:        Jason Hellenthal <jhellenthal@dataix.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why are you NOT using FreeBSD --> an example and a solution

Hi,

On 13 June 2012 0:20:16 Jason Hellenthal wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 09:53:04AM +0700, Erich wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi, Do we really need another one of these pointless rambling threads...

if it helps to keep newcomers with FreeBSD.

> > I placed FreeBSD 10 on an empty disk and downloaded then the ports tree from yesterday.
> >

> > http://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU
>
> Read the FAQ ?

The problem has not much to do with X.

> > Installation of Joe.
> >
> > Joe is always the first port I install as I am used to its commands. I then download and compile other ports. As I am currently on a low-bandwidth Internet connection, I try to keep the machine busy during the night with large downloads.
>
> Irrelevant

It is as I only get errors like this when I install Joe first.

> > Parallel downloading and compilation of scribus and xorg-server
> >

> > How can we help newcomers to avoid this kind of problems?
> >

> By contributing to PRs and the correct mailing list with solutions,
> outcomes, patches etc...

I am one step further now. As I am getting errors like this very often since I use this method  of installing ports I thought that there must be something basic what I am doing wrong.

The cause of the problem happens much earlier. I used PCBSD to get FreeBSD onto the disk and did then a source upgrade. This went fine. But PCBSD installed many ports. I assumed now that after deleting them with 'pkg_delete -a' there are all gone and installation can start.

Of course, pkg_delete brings some error messages that it could not delete this or that as the package list is wrong.

After getting the errors mentioned here, I used to run 'make deinstall' in the affected port. This solved the problem. I wonder now what the difference between pkg_delete and make deinstall is.

As I mentioned before, I am getting these errors randomly since around 2007. I obviously never used make deinstall then.

I will go back now to the FreeBSD ports installation.

> Part of it made it to this thread under a wrong subject line but its a
> start...

Erich