Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 07:21:24 +0100 (CET)
From:      Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to control a relay for the printer

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, David Kelly wrote:

> Leif Neland writes:
> > I have spare com-ports, could I use some modemcontrol-bits to control the
> > relay?
>
> That is one way. It matters as to what the coil voltage and current your
> relay requires. Not likely you will be able to activate the relay with
> the very small current available on the serial port.

The relay is an industrial device in a 10-pin box, integral psu and
electronic cut-off delay, and only need its input to be short circuited to
activate.

I probably just need one optocoupler and/or transistor.

So I just need to know how to turn say DTR on and off.

Leif

> Think a cleaner and quicker solution would be to buy an X-10 Appliance
> Module to plug the printer in, and a cheap controller ($15). When you
> want to print, push the ON button (several times to make sure it works)
> for the Housecode and Unit of your printer.

I haven't seen any X-10 here in the .dk-domain :-(

> Modern printers power themselves down when not used for a while.

This isn't a modern printer. It's a working horse 18 pages/min duplex
printer, I got free, because it was damaged by water from a leaking roof.
I can live with the display being broken; it couldn't pay to repair it,
the service company told...

Leif