Date:      Tue, 8 Nov 2011 09:30:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      rtsit <rtsit@yahoo.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OH NO! IT says my root partition / is full but it isn't! Why is FreeBSD lying about space?

=0A=0AWe FOUND IT.=0A=0AWe did do the procedure that Michael recommended, b=
ut unfortunately none of the nfs mount labels /var /usr /tmp contained any =
data after booting into single user mode.=0A=0AWhat we did find was a NFS f=
older that contained a huge 300 meg .tar.gz file that wasn't finished downl=
oading. (Was a BSDSRC tree that was tar'd gz'd)=0A=0AHave to watch for mass=
ive NFS file transfers of abnormally large files -- that is what caused the=
 issue.=A0 Next time we'll use WGET instead while sitting at the /usr parti=
tion instead of the root folder.=0A=0A=0A=0A_______________________________=
_=0AFrom: Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>=0ATo: rt=
sit <rtsit@yahoo.com>=0ACc: "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questi=
ons@freebsd.org>=0ASent: Monday, November 7, 2011 1:13 PM=0ASubject: Re: OH=
 NO! IT says my root partition / is full but it isn't! Why is FreeBSD lying=
 about space?=0A=0Artsit <rtsit@yahoo.com> writes:=0A=0A> I did reboot the =
machine a few times, hoping that any process in=0A> memory that still claim=
ed ownership of an open part of the disk would=0A> release it.=0A=0AThere a=
re other things that can cause disk space to seem to disappear,=0Abut there=
 is a reason that one is in the FAQ list and the others aren't;=0Ait's virt=
ually always the cause when someone reports such a problem on=0Athis list.=
=0A=0A> Didn't work. I'm going to try the other method recommended by Micha=
el=0A> Sierchio -- to reboot in single user mode and try and clear out any=
=0A> directory structures that could exist that my mount labels could be=0A=
> hiding.=A0 Thanks for the reply and helpful link.=0A=0AIf the mounts are =
shadowing files, that will certainly hide data use.=A0 =0AI hope that turns=
 out to be the issue and you get it fixed quickly.=0A=0A> (It was nice to n=
ot see a RTFM response, but a helpful link -- it is appreciated).=0A=0AI do=
n't agree with you here.=A0 My response *was* RTFM, and I don't see=0Aanyth=
ing inherently wrong with that.=A0 I'm glad it was helpful.=0A=0AGood luck.