Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 23:12:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mixed results w/ WinCast/TV

On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Steve Passe wrote:

> the code I posted via email doesn't support cable channels, only
broadcast.  > The code on the web page does have a routine for cable, but
I can't remember > if I added an ioctl to select it.  and it hasn't been
tested for lack of cable.

Hm, that was stuck in the mail queue.

To bring the world up on my situation:

I'm on the committed code from
http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/HomeAuto/files/bt848.tar.gz or something like
that. TV and the latest Xremote ("xstb") work fine for composite and TV
cable (on IRC mode for the channels >13).
Changing channels and rapid camera movement will sometimes cause tv to
stop. Moving tv around a bunch restarts the stream.

The "smurf attack" problem on this Mach64 appears isolated to 24 and 32
bit modes.  15 bit mode displays correctly.  Amancio has provided me with
some details on the bt848 color control field that I can use to reverse
the bits.  I need to play with this, unfortunately it'll have to wait
until late Thursday or Friday as I have a term paper due.

For fun....

I actually had a vic session taking pictures of my fish tank for a while
on site scope that appeared to be working properly.  I never realized that
the pictures go out on the local net.  I had the rate controls effectively
disabled for a while, seeing how fast I could push stuff out.  Pouring
1.3MB/sec onto the local net will get someone's attention, that's for
sure.  :)  And that 'quality' slider _really_ affects the data rate out,
and the overall sharpness of the image. Quality 1 gets you nv with all of
the bandwidth and none of the restraint, while quality 255 gets you a
colorful blur at virtually no data out. :)

Unless someone objects, I think I'll turn the camera back on and let it
sit in FreeBSD Lounge for a while sometime around 9:30 or 10:00am Pacific
time until I get back after classes at about 2pm or so.  I'll turn down
the rate to 64kbps so it doesn't hose Amancio. (I don't think you'd like
it if I unleashed it -- 30fps at 1.3MB/sec.)  You guys can take a peek at
it and comment on how pathetic the color is on my ancient VHS camcorder :)

Another fun thing to do is resize tv to 640x480 and change the X server's
resolution to the same, then slowly nudge the virtual desktop so the tv
window takes up the entire screen.  Great for my 17" monitor -- sure beats
the little 13" I have in here now in terms of visuals.  The clarity is on
par with our 21" Sony Trinitron TV at home.

Have a good night, and may the postperson bestow the Brooktree databook on
your mailbox tomorrow.