Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 1996 17:14:37 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        tjeffers@nastg.gsfc.nasa.gov
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd Vs. Linux

In message <199604051734.MAA10337@etinc.com>you write:
>>We are also doing some work with multicast, was 2.0 BSD released with
>>multicast enabled and 2.1 disabled. We tried to join a multicast group using
>>2.1 and received some errors.

What exactly were the errors that you received?

>> In addtion, when we do a netstat -g we receive:
>>
>>muiltcast not compiled into the system.

Actually, you probably get "no multicast routing compiled into this system" --
having multicast *routing* compiled in has nothing to do with joining groups.

If you *do* need multicast routing, because you want to run mrouted, then you
need to rebuild a kernel with "options MROUTING".  But normal host
multicasting is enabled by default.

  Bill