Date:      Sat, 14 Jul 2012 06:11:41 -0400
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 8.3

I just set up a system designed to handle lots of VBox VM's: a 6-core
SandyBridge processor with 32GB of ram on a FreeBSD 8.3-STABLE host.

Unfortunately, once I got it set up, I found that VBox guest
performance simply sucks. The *mouse* isn't responsive. Linux guests
see lots of "CPU Locked" errors.

Googling turns up lots of problems with VBox on SandyBridge: Mac's
running on 64 bit kernels have this problem - running on 32 bit
kernels helps. Turning off Intel's SpeedStep has been reported to
help. Turning off VT-X in the guest - if it's a 32-bit guest -
helps. The last one is the only one that actually helped me.

I was wondering if anyone here had run into and solved similar
problems? Or if they were running a similar system, and didn't run
into that problem? Especially anyone running 9.0 instead of 8.X!

   Thanks,
   <mike

--
Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>		http://www.mired.org/
Independent Software developer/SCM consultant, email for more information.