Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 00:10:45 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        "Marius M.Rex" <MariusRex@netscape.net>
Cc:        freeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modem on sio4?

On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 06:49:37PM -0400, Marius M.Rex wrote:
>     I am definitely making progress on this.  I am trying to get my PnP modem
> to work under 3.1-Release.  O.K. we have recompiled the kernel with
> "controller pnp0" the pnp id is in sio.c ...and the modem does actually show
> up in my dmesg when I boot up.  (Dance of joy!)
>      Now the modem shows up at sio4.  I technically only have 2 serial ports
> (which MS-Windows would call com 1-4), and I do not have any funky multi-port
> cards or anything.

Have you added sio4 to your kernel config file? It only has sio[0-3] by default.

>      Now the modem takes up the irq and the memory access address of sio1
> (irq 3, starting at 02f8)  I have sio1 disabled via /boot/kernel.config,
> so I don't even probe for it.  (it is not disabled in the kernel itself - but
> I could do that if it would help.)

It would help if you posted the boot messages (use dmesg(8))

>      My question is, can I just "./MAKEDEV cua5" and leave the modem at sio4,

It would be cuaa4 (note the double "a"!), not 5, both sio and cuaa
are numbered from 0. I would guess that if it was found as sio4 at
boot then cuaa4 should work, won't harm to try.