Date:      Mon, 9 Jan 2012 10:52:24 -0500
From:      Nathan Wehr <gtolemans@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Lost geli metadata

I have FreeBSD 8.0 installed on a machine with geli encrypting one of =
the hard drives. Most of what's on the drive I can live without, but =
there are a few important items that, unfortunately, don't exist =
elsewhere. When I try to attach the drive, I get the following message:

[root@baxter ~/]# geli attach -k /root/ad4.key /dev/ad4
[root@baxter ~/]# Enter Passphrase: (I enter passphrase no problem, geli =
seems to attach)

[root@baxter ~/]# mount /dev/ad4.eli /private
mount: /dev/ad4.eli : No such file or directory <-- This is the problem

The rest of this sad story is really just a long list of me making =
stupid mistakes. Here's a bit of history that might be helpful:

Mistake #1: Store non-backedup data on a backup drive that's encrypted.=20=

If I hadn't of made Mistake #1, losing all of my data would be far less =
heart-wrenching. However - and unfortunately - my mistakes do not end =
there. To start out with, I took out the CD/DVD drive from the machine =
to install it in a different one. After I did that, the drive label for =
the encrypted drive changed from ad4 to ad2. And of course geli wouldn't =
attach the drive and so I tried to use glabel. Needless to say, glabel =
didn't work. After that, I backed up the meta data (more like overwrote =
meta data that was already backed up when I originally encrypted the =
drive) that geli puts on the drive and then try to restore it after I =
insert the CD/DVD drive.=20

This didn't work, and with a little bit of research, I found out that =
both geli and glabel both write data to the same place on the hard drive =
(the last sector). Which means that the backed up meta data which is at =
/var/backups/ad4.eli now contains data for glabel instead of geli. I =
read somewhere that the meta data for geli contains key information =
which doesn't make sense to me because I have the key stored at =
/root/ad4.key. So, my question... Is there any hope at recovering the =
information on the drive? If so, how? And, if not, why?

I would appreciate any help that you could offer, especially regarding =
the failed mount command listed above.