Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2017 15:27:22 +0300
From:      "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>
To:        Christopher Bowman <crb@chrisbowman.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apart difficulties

--PCKGpg2ljPjJXSKx78xKDbiKUQcloW7xM
From: "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>
To: Christopher Bowman <crb@chrisbowman.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org

--9rWNv7U9GfaFVfaOI2BHnEv4w5NxFbmuH

On 17.10.2017 07:13, Christopher Bowman wrote:
> I have a home server with a fairly large amount of zfs disk space where=
 I keep all of my persistent data.  As a result when new releases of Free=
BSD come out I tend backup the root images of my machines to the zfs pool=
 and, starting with the least important box, I blow away all the local pa=
rtitions and reinstall from scratch.  Then I mount the server zfspool and=
 restore config files and packages.  As a result my machines stay pretty =
up to date and clean.  Lately rather than burning DVDs I=E2=80=99ve decid=
ed that I will create a usb boot disks containing the entire DVD contents=
 and simply go down the line and and install on one machine after the oth=
er.  My machine can now all boot off USB but don=E2=80=99t all have DVD d=
rives.
>=20
> I have the following script below which I was using to try configure an=
 MBR bootable memory stick.  The commented out lines are a reminder to my=
self of how to copy over the ISO contents to the slice I create (I only d=
o this when there is a new release so I forget.)
>=20
> gpart create -s MBR da0
> gpart add -i 1 -t freebsd da0
> gpart set -a active -i 1 da0
> gpart bootcode -b /boot/mbr da0
> gpart create -s BSD -n 8 da0s1
> gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -i 1 da0s1
> gpart bootcode -p /boot/boot -i 1 da0s1

BSD label uses embedded into partition table bootcode. You need to use
"-b /boot/boot" argument to install it.
What is going in your case:
BSD label metadata was stored in first sector of da0s1 and GEOM object
of PART_BSD class was created. Then you added partitions, that starts
from zero offset, i.e. it contains BSD label metadata. Then /boot/boot
content was written into da0s1a, and it has overridden BSD label. But
since da0s1a is separate GEOM provider, the spoiling did not worked for
da0s1.

--=20
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov