Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 04:23:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compiling drivers as lkm's

Is there any kernel config option that can be used to link a driver to the
kernel dynamically (LKM) instead of statically?  Also, I'd like to know
how to write a driver as an lkm.  Of course, if anyone has any links or
info on how to write a driver period, I'd like to know.

It seems like the best method to write, test, and debug a new driver would
be to use lkm's, since you could just use kldload() and kldunload() to
test the driver-in-progress instead of just rebooting.

- Donn