Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 08:54:33 -0400
From:      "Jud" <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        jrhoden@unimelb.edu.au
Cc:        philip@adhesivemedia.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, jp@niagrow.com
Subject:   Re: LILO

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacob Rhoden <jrhoden@unimelb.edu.au>
To: Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.=
org, Jean-Paul van der Windt <jp@niagrow.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 09:33:44 +1000

Hi,

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 08:42, Philip Hallstrom wrote:
> > I think it's a disklabel(8) thing, but I don't have an extra box lying
> > around to test it on. disklabel is a powerful and dangerous thing ;-)
> I don't think it is... I've seen a couple of replies to this indicating
> that it'

I am not sure, but I am fairly certian, that the labels in the boot manager=
=20
are displayed based on the partion type. So if its a freebsd partion type i=
t=20
says freebsd, fat32, it says DOS, if its XP I get ??. I assume that is=20
because that partion type is not entered into the boot manager code.=20

(Each 'partion type' has a unique identifier number, ie i think freebsd's c=
ode=20
is 69 or something, its been a while since I looked at all that.)
=20
Jacob Rhoden            Phone: +61 3 9844 6102
ITS Division            Email: jrhoden@unimelb.edu.au
Melbourne University   Mobile: +61 403 788 386

FreeBSD partition type is 165.  NTFS (Win NT/2K/XP) is
7, but so are QNX and an OS/2 file system.
There apparently isn't room for all of these options
in the bootloader, but if you were ambitious you
could hack the source to display what you wanted.  Or
you could use a bootloader that allows easier
configuration of the boot menu, like Grub or the NT
bootloader.

Jud