Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:52:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Larry Lile <lile@stdio.com>
To:        Phil Regnauld <regnauld@ftf.net>
Cc:        "Tournier, Hubert (FR)" <htournier@deloitte.fr>, "\"tokenring@FreeBSD.ORG\" " <tokenring@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Newbus, ocenabler and the new ol driver

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Phil Regnauld wrote:

> Tournier, Hubert (FR) writes:
> >
> > I've checked Larry's token ring page.
> >
> > If you don't mind, what are "newbus" and "ocenabler" ?
>
> 	newbus is a new DMA + bus architecture in FreeBSD -- I
> 	know no more :-)
>
> 	I don't know what ocenabler is...

ocenablar is a dos program that should be on the diskettes that came
with your PCCard.  According to Olicom you should be able to configure
your card with this program and it will probe as a PCI card.  I have
never looked into it so YMMV.

> > Does the ol.tar.gz driver really works only for PCI cards, or is it just
> > that it has only been tested with this kind of hardware ?
>
> 	According to Larry, it only works with PCI.  I've tried in
> 	on -current, and it works very well (very verbose debugging though).

I have to add the ISA probe/attach and there are some slight differences
in memory management.

Only "very verbose"?  I will have to try harder :)

> > In the second case, I can perform some tests on my laptop. I've an Olicom
> > GoCard Token-Ring PC Card (OC-3221) and I run 3.3-RELEASE.
>
> 	PCCards are not supported yet, AFAIK.

3.3-Release is a no-go, but you might prove or disprove that PCCards
can be used on 4.x-current with ocenablar magic.

Larry Lile
lile@stdio.com