Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 10:50:43 -0500
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Graeme@echidna.com
Subject:   RSA license for SSL for Apache

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but questions seems to
have the biggest audience.

A friend just saw a Red Hat Linux 5.2 package, which was labelled as
including "Apache US SSL secure server" with a "single-server advanced
cryptography license from RSA".

I assume this means a license for commercial use. This certainly gives a
powerful incentive to use Red Hat for a web server.

I wonder if Walnut Creek CD-ROM could offer a similar distribution of
FreeBSD?

The problem for US users is that RSA do not have a licensing model
suited to individual commercial use. From what RSA told me last year, it
would take a company with significant sales to strike up a licensing
agreement with them. The licensing cost per package is probably small -
the problem is RSA require a large "down payment" on account, from which
the per-product fees are then taken.

When you look at the price of the Stronghold Apache/SSL package ($1000),
I'm sure you could charge quite a few dollars extra for a distribution
of FreeBSD including the RSA license.

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna