Date:      Thu, 1 Jan 1998 11:57:54 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        Stefan.Bethke@Hanse.DE (Stefan Bethke)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BT-542B fails with 2.2.5 (urgent)

As Stefan Bethke wrote...
> Sorry to bother you,
>
> I'm currently trying to upgrade a machine from 1.1.5.1 to 2.2.5.
>
> Unfortunatly, the BT-452B, which worked fine with 1.1.5.1 (using aha),
> fails with 2.2.5-RELEASE.
>
> The card is probed successfully as aha, but as soon as sysinstall tries to
> make a root fs, the kernel panics with "panic: I/O channel check, likely
> hardware failure." Then, it either hangs on "syncing disks", or produces
> yet another panic.

Sounds like your bt (or some other I/O card...) is pulling on the IOCHK line
on the ISA bus. This line is supposedly to be used in case the expansion
board hardware detects an error.

Dirty hack: the IOCHK line is the _last_ pad on the ISA connector, so the
one closest to the metal mounting bracket. One side of the board/connector is
ground, the other one is IOCHK. You could try some adhesive tape on the BT
to see if the panic goes away..

So much for a hardware fix for (maybe) a sw problem ;-)

Wilko
----------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net]BSD Unix  ------