Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 20:21:15 +0100 (CET)
From:      Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Broken 4.3-BETA?

Hello,

I'm totally confused...

I've had a machine with 4.2-STABLE (from around the end of february) which
runs the standard FTPD in a jail with data directories unionfs mounted.

The machine worked very well, but had some misterious restarts, so I
decided to upgrade yesterday. I've compiled 4.3-BETA from the latest cvsup
of today on a 4.2-STABLE machine (this is from around mid-feb).

After the upgrade on the FTP server everything seemed to work fine except
the FTPD. When I get a file it gives me *binary trash*, even when I
download ASCII files!

It seems that it happens because of UNIONFS. If I start the FTPD-jail with
a non UNIONFS FTP spool directory everything is OK. (I've tried this with
mounting a spare UFS partition)

The problem appears only with FTPD, so I think it's in connection with
sendfile(), because the other daemons don't use that and they are working
fine.

I tried to reboot the machine with the old kernel this gave me the same
behaviour, but with another kind of "trash", it seems that sendfile()
sends another location of the disk. Also I tried to copy the old shared
libraries into the jail with the old binaries, but it also failed to work
(I simply could not start the daemon, but this seems to be OK because of
some differences in another regions of the OS).

Could you please help me to figure out what the problem is?