Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 2020 22:31:22 -0800
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        cem@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: arc4random initialization

On Mon, 7 Dec 2020 18:52:03 -0800
Conrad Meyer <cem@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > Is there any indication as to when it has safely reseeded?
>
> For the core random device, the message "random: unblocking device."
> is printed in dmesg and logged to /var/log/messages.

Note that I am not running CURRENT, but 12.2-STABLE (r367506). Given this,
the order of messages I see is:

 arc4random: no preloaded entropy cache
 random: entropy device external interface
 random: registering fast source Intel Secure Key RNG
 random: fast provider: "Intel Secure Key RNG"
 arc4random: no preloaded entropy cache
 random: unblocking device.
 arc4random: no preloaded entropy cache
 arc4random: no preloaded entropy cache
 (...at least 20 more of these).

That is from "dmesg | grep random", which might be naive, but nonetheless
illustrates my lack of certainty as to whether or not the appropriate generator
has reseeded such that subsequent generation of cryptographic random numbers is
safe.

Just how do I know which messages are from arc4random(9) and which are from
arc4random(3)?
--
Dave Hayes - Consultant - LA CA, USA - dave@dream-tech.com

No system is any use if you merely possess it. Ownership
requires operation. No system is useful if one can only
experiment with it.  For a system to be useful, it must be
correctly operated.