Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 08:53:18 -0700
From:      "Jeremey A. Mates" <jmates@sial.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading system perl

* Jeff Eckermann <jeckermann@verio.net> [2001-09-26 09:31:18]:
> (Perl wouldn't recognize that I had installed modules, though: is
> there an easy fix, or do I need to reinstall all of them?  I
> installed them from ports.)

1.  Reinstall all the perl modules.  In the future, you can use the
    CPAN "autobundle" feature to create a list of installed perl
    modules, then install said bundle on the new perl to bring in all
    the extra modules from CPAN that you like after upgrading perl.
    Run "perldoc CPAN" for more info.

    Or, you can maintain a list of stuff to install-- this is mainly
    useful when installing perl modules on systems you do not want
    CPAN upgrading perl on behind your back.

http://www.sial.org/code/perl/docs/perl-modules-quick.txt

2.  Diddle with the Configure steps to perl when compiling 5.6.1,
    which allows one to build a new perl that is backwards compatible
    with the old 5.005 modules.  Good if you have non-standard modules
    that are a hassle (or impossible) to upgrade.

> On the second server, the install failed with error messages
> reproduced below.  FreeBSD version:

Missing system ndbm include/libraries, or maybe the "wrong" version of
ndbm is installed?

--
Jeremy Mates                                      http://www.sial.org/

	   "You cannot control, only catch." -- Tsung Tsai