Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 20:41:37 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Wyatt Banks <banksw@sunyit.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: thank you

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 03:33:50PM -0400, Wyatt Banks wrote:

> > I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "include the command", but this
> > should work even if you comment out the entry in /etc/fstab:
> >
> > 	# mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom
> >
> > With an entry (un-commented) in /etc/fstab you should just have to do:
> >
> > 	# mount /cdrom
> >
> > Note that you must be root to mount it.
> >
> > The ``noauto'' option merely stops FreeBSD attempting to mount it at boot.
> > If there is anything wrong with the entry in /etc/fstab then you should get
> > some kind of error/warning when you try to use ``mount /cdrom''.
> >

> so the cdrom is not automatically mounted at boot even with the entry in
> fstab.  Interesting.

No. As someone else explained, if you don't have ``noauto'' then FreeBSD
will try to mount the CD at boot and, if there is no CD in the drive, it
will not complete the boot (remember; it mounts the CD, not the CD drive)
so you would always need to have a CD in the drive when you booted FreeBSD.

This is not FreeBSD-specific, all *nixes do this with removable media (the
/etc/fstab entry for your floppy, /dev/fd0, also has ``noauto'' for the
same reason).

> Thank you VERY much for helping me clear my understanding of this up. :-)

You are welcome.

--
		4.4 - The number of the Beastie