Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:05:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        chip@chocobo.cx
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wi in hostap mode causes panic near linksys router

In message: <20030112164138.GA31670@chocobo.cx>
            Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx> writes:
: On January 11, 2003, M. Warner Losh sent me the following:
: > :   /sbin/sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_cfg="wi0 fxp0"
: > :   /sbin/sysctl net.link.ether.ipfw=1
: > :   /sbin/sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw=1
: > :   /sbin/sysctl net.link.ether.bridge=1
: >
: > I've not done bridging things with ipfw and bridge_ipfw.  I've onlt
: > done bridge=1.
:
: The bridge manpage seems to suggest that it won't work with wi, is
: this just out of date, or am I misreading it?
:
:   Bridging requires interfaces to be put in promiscuous mode, and
:   transmit packets with Ethernet source addresses. Some interfaces
:   (e.g.  wi(4)) do not support this functionality.

wi doesn't support bridging in promiscuous mode, but it does
support it in hostap mode, as far as I know.

Warner