Date:      Thu, 2 Jun 2022 22:07:32 +0100
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        Dale Scott <dalescott@shaw.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Effect of using SATA 2.x and 3.x in zfs mirrored config

On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 07:34:51 -0600 (MDT)
Dale Scott <dalescott@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Looking in dmesg, I see one of the drives is using SATA 3 (600MB/s
> transfer), and the other is using SATA 2 (300MB/s transfer). Will mixing
> SATA 2 and SATA 3 drives cause any technical issues? Is there any reason
> why I should use SATA 2 for both drives?

	No reason at all to do so, but it probably wouldn't hurt either, I
doubt the drives can exceed SATA 2 speeds for long if at all.

	ZFS won't know or care what underpins the devices. I've even
mirrored a laptop SSD with an iSCSI accessed zvol on a NAS - it worked fine
(I didn't try disaster recovery, that would take some thinking about) the
main aim was to make a weekly scrub worthwhile.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>