Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 06:35:19 -0800
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        info@boatbooks.com
Subject:   Re: CAM question 3.0-RELEASE

Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> In article <3636A466.5222@echidna.com> you wrote:
> >> This is normal.  The system tries to figure out how many tags each unit
> >> can support by experimentation and observation.  Some disks are
> >> broken here and have to be quirk'd to turn off or reduce tags.
> >
> > Is there some reason why these messages are desirable and need to be on by
> > default?
>
> They help us (the SCSI developers) diagnose problems.  They also give the
> user an idea of the capabilities of their hardware.

I guess it would help if I understood what they were telling me.

> > They certainly get annoyingly voluminous at times. The following comment
> > is from the freebsd-scsi archives:
>
> They will stop as soon as the minimum tag count is achieved.  Do you reboot
> your system all the time or something?

Actually, yes  ;-)   Well, I have a couple of new systems sitting on my desk,
and between two systems (which for the moment get powered down / rebooted
often) and multiple disks, I've been seeing a lot of such messages. Somehow I
had got the impression that the messages recurred within a single run period,
but I gather now that's not supposed to be the case.

For some reason also I get multiple copies to a console logged in as root,
like

(da0:ahc0:0:0:0) tagged openings now 51
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0) tagged openings now 52
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0) tagged openings now 49

in bright text, followed by

Oct 28 06:11:25 install7 /kernel: (da0:ahc0:0:0:0) tagged openings now 51
Oct 28 06:11:25 install7 /kernel: (da0:ahc0:0:0:0) tagged openings now 51
Oct 28 06:11:25 install7 /kernel: (da0:ahc0:0:0:0) tagged openings now 50
Oct 28 06:11:25 install7 /kernel: (da0:ahc0:0:0:0) tagged openings now 50
Oct 28 06:11:25 install7 /kernel: (da0:ahc0:0:0:0) tagged openings now 49
Oct 28 06:11:25 install7 /kernel: (da0:ahc0:0:0:0) tagged openings now 49

in regular text.

Whatever context I was in gets scrolled right off the screen.

It would be nice if these messages could be tamed in some way (like only the
last in a count-down sequence issued), or made optional, or issued only when
critical.

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna