Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2012 11:11:29 -0400
From:      Kris Moore <kris@pcbsd.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What still requires HAL?

On 06/10/2012 08:45, Warren Block wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2012, Martin Wilke wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 19:01:08 -0600 (MDT)
>> Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Does Gnome still require HAL?  Does KDE?  xfce does not.  Are we
>>> approaching a point at which the xorg-server port option for HAL can
>>> be set to default to off?
>>

>> Xfce4 need hal as well, (thunar),
>
> It used to, using hal for automounting removable media.  Support for
> that was removed upstream in xfce a while back, 4.6 I think.  Maybe
> hal can do something else for xfce, but I haven't noticed it since
> removing hal a year ago.
>
>> I prefer to let hald enabled as default. Reason is a lot pepole still
>> need it.
>
> Yes, unfortunately.  We can only ask porters to make hal optional when
> the ported software supports that.

I'm going to be playing with removing HAL support in PC-BSD here in the
near future. We've created our own auto-mounting GUI application, which
works regardless of the DE being used. Plus mav@ has created some
patches he will be hopefully be putting into HEAD soon, which does
CD/DVD insert notification / polling for devd. With this in place I'm
not sure what else HAL would be needed for. Does Xorg still use it for
anything, like mouse detection?

--
Kris Moore
PC-BSD Software