Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 06:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/29845: 4.4-PRERELEASE crashes under heavy net I/O

The following reply was made to PR kern/29845; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To: Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org,
	Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 14:49:23 +0100

 On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 01:33:22PM +0200, Andre Albsmeier wrote:
 > I have saved the crashdumps for further examination. As you can see,
 > the box crashes in whichever process it wants...

 I'd guess that something is freeing an mbuf while it is still in
 use.  This would result in either a panic when the mbuf is corrupted
 while in use or a double freeing of the mbuf. This could plausable
 explain the panics you included trace backs for.

 I think Ian Dowse has some tools for examining the mbuf free lists
 in kernel dumps. He did also have some patches for catching writes
 to shared or free mbuf clusters, which might help figure out what's
 going on here.

 The only thing that doesn't tally is that this is only effecting
 your laptop and not all your machines.

 	David.